Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Sugar and Chocolate Museum

    September 29, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We were the first customers through the door of this quaint little museum. It tells the story of Yves Thuriés, a talented chef, pastry maker, chocolate maker and a member of the Culinary Academy of France. He was twice voted the best master craftsman of France as a pastry, chocolate, confectionery and ice-cream maker.

    The museum outlines Yves’ progress and success as an artisan chocolatier who raised the profile of chocolate in the south of France. Within a few years he became one of the biggest names of chocolate and Cordes-sur-Ciel in the Tarn became the birthplace from which he has passed on his expertise in the purest tradition of the artisan. Today his creations travel throughout the world and, as a member of the French Academy of Chocolate, Yves Thuriés is an exemplary professional dedicated to quality and innovation.

    A number of his creations were on display and took between 30 and 100 hours to complete.

    Yves Thuriés’ recognition by his peers is acknowledged by the award to the chef from Cordes of the “Grand Prix 2008 of the book of Master Craftsmen of France” for the 350,000 copies of his encyclopaedia that had been sold to date throughout the world.

    In 1991 he opened his first hand-crafted chocolate factory in Carmaux. He is at the heart and at the forefront of chocolate creation. He gave birth to marbled chocolate, followed closely by chocolate macaroons that enabled him to be awarded the Innovation Leader prize in 1991. He continues to mentor young chocolatiers to this day.
    Read more