Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Lunch at Belcanto

    October 27, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Today we had our second lunch at a Michelin (⭐️⭐️) restaurant. Belcanto is the brainchild of José Avillez who says the aim of the restaurant is to take people on a journey through Portuguese cuisine inspired by all its coastal contours, the plains and mountains of its interior history, it’s people, overseas discoveries, exchanges, and influences. José’s ethos - “cuisine is culture, cooking is caring. At Belcanto, each dish has its story to tell”.

    Belcanto is a lovely restaurant, with a great team that is very knowledge and professional. We were looked after mainly by Ricardo and Jorge. A small silver dish was placed on the table, containing two white objects that looked like mints. Ricardo added a bit of warm water and the tablets expanded. He told us they were to “cleanse our hands”, although Ian thought he said “cleanse our palates” and was about to pop it in his mouth, but I was able to stop him doing this, just!

    Our first dish was four starters, Barnacles on a seaweed cracker, Mackerel, Crispy chicken skins with shrimp, and a foie gras sphere. They were all fabulous and delicious but the chicken skin was the favourite.

    We then had Carrot with pine nut milk and olive; this dish was simple and delicious. We also had some delicious bread with three types of butter. Next we had lupin bean, ajo blanco and horse mackerel, which was divine. The third entree was European lobster Cesar Salad, a very innovative and wonderful dish. The last entree was The Garden of the Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs. This has been on the menu since 2008 and did not disappoint.

    We had two mains, Hake and coriander cod sounds. The final savoury dish was suckling pig with orange peel purée and lettuce. Both of these dishes were superb.

    We were then presented with two desserts. The first was CHOCO which was everything chocolate and then second was sweet egg cream and lemon. Then with coffee we were presented with three petite fours.

    Regarding wine, I had a glass of champagne to start and Ian a glass of Verdelho. We then chose a dry white from Alentejo to accompany the rest of the meal. I spoke to Jorge about a Green wine that people were getting as part of the wine pairings out of an impressively large bottle. I told him I was rather partial to a Green wine, so he gave us a generous taste and it was sensational. So, I ordered a glass. I also had a dessert wine to finish the meal.

    It was another first class, delicious and wonderful experience.
    Read more