Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    St-Come to Espalion

    April 29 in France ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Today was a short walk - 7km from one scenic village to the next. It was even shorter after we read Rosie's advice on alternative routes, and Anne's Vespers partner suggested going via the secondary road since it was cloudy and raining.

    We left the convent around 8:45 and were in Espalion around 10am. It was a flat walk beside a river that seemed twice as big as yesterday. Some rain, perhaps, or a release from one of the upstream hydro-electric dams?

    There were cars and people, but it is Monday and most shops are shut. That includes clothes shops, so our plans to buy waterproof pants were foiled. Espalion is much larger than the last two villages, but the centre is as old and as pretty. There are some old 20 houses built side-by-side along the river that used to be tanneries, and they still have the stone steps down to the water.

    We expected the hotel to be closed until 3pm, but we came in with our dripping ponchos after walking around the town. Reception was empty, so we sat for a while, then Anne found a notice saying reception was closed from 12-5pm, but if you arrived during that time you should look up your room umber and take your own key...so we did, and we in the room around 1pm. Our one bag was in reception, waiting.

    Dinner at the hotel. Very cheerful staff, and no choices: a bacon, egg, pork ad mustard salad, great bread, aligot and a local sausage, and then a pear tart. The first two courses were fantastic. Heavier rain as we sat there, but hoping for a long break in the drizzle tomorrow.

    17,565 steps, 13.9 km and 1 flight
    Read more