Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 16

    Figeac

    4 Mei, Perancis ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Figeac is special.

    Bonus one is that we have a very pleasant hotel. Curiously, a Best Western, but easily the best so far.

    Bonus two is that we are here two nights.

    Bonus three is that Figeac is quite special. It is as if the buildings have been kept the same for at least 200 years. There are no (or almost no) new buildings anywhere through the old area, which is quite large. Lots of alleys and twisting, narrow streets, and all the houses are stone, often with blue-shuttered windows, wooden framework visible from outside and old, tiled rooves. There are two huge churches, both different but also spectacular. The man who deciphered the Rosetta Stone was born here, and the Knights Templar had a castle in the 13th-15th C, the oldest house was started in the 10th C, small mansions and places are around every corner, and there are rose bushes along the streets.

    We spent the day walking around the tourist office trail, with 30 stops, then the churches again, the river, the fair ground (1-5 May is Figeac Fair), a few different sorts of shops, the sports field, the non-old town ( still very old on the edges) and everything in between. A good place to spend two nights!

    21,519 steps, 16.2km, 24 flights.
    Baca selengkapnya