Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Bacalar

    January 29, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Arriving in Bacalar was eventful. Naturally before we hopped on the colectivo in Carrillo we both drank a little too much water. By the time we arrived in Bacalar we both, but especially Tony had to pee. In getting off the colectivo, distracted by the search for he nearest tree, Tony left his tablet in the colectivo. Pfffff. We figured since the colectivos goes between the cities (Carrillo to Chetumal and back), we can come back in a few hours to check as they pass back through.

    Then, time to find a place to stay. Holy shit it's hot. Walking past the main road down towards the Bacalar Laguna, after just a block, we've both worked up a sweat. Somehow going a direction opposite of the center we find a private room for 400 pesos with a shower and bathroom, though it smells of delicious moldy socks.

    After a few minutes of relaxation without the backpacks strapped to us, it was time to get back to the main road to wait for the colectivos - but eventually we had to give up after about an hour or two. It was too hot and it was time to check out Bacalar. Walking back we checked out the Bacalar Playa, an cute little swimming area that is just 10 pesitos to enter, complete with a restaurant, diving docks all around, kayak rentals, palapa umbrella rentals and such.

    We grabbed a bite, then went back to the room to get away from the heat, and realized we've been had - this room comes with a complete set of cobwebs, no screens on the windows, janky fan, and an unkempt bathroom that's connected to the room by a half ass wall, hence he moldy sock smell. We figured we would deal with the room until the next day.

    That night Tony went out alone searching for a better hotel not long after sunset, and came upon the centro of Bacalar - the loudest birds chirping over the main park, where kids are teeter tottering, hippies from around the world congregate to sell bracelets, and the occasional 1990 Honda accord passes by spewing Banda with hardly a good bass amplifier but a chrome muffler. Eventually finding better hotel for the next night, turning some corners to head back came up the Galeón Pirata, a place that his life music most nights. This time around a lovely mix of Mexicans and travelers alike enjoyed an alternative classic rock inspired group from Chetumal. The night grew mild and bearable, with the exception of the musty room, which we slept fast and in he morning vacated faster.

    The next few couple days we jumped in the laguna at the Playa Bacalar, watching he locals do back flips off he docks into the water, and rented a kayak to cross the laguna to catch a glimpse of a dilapidated restaurant in the shape of a concrete boat, and around a few marshy areas we decided to get out, which was a bad idea. After landing the kayak, Tony stepped onto the sand and immediately sank in with one leg completely submerged into the quicksand. Luckily the kayak was there to prevent the lightening sand from totally eating him alive. We decided to not get out of he kayak there hahah. After 2 hours for 10 dollars, we returned the kayak and decided to jump back in the water and get a bite at their restaurant during a most gorgeous sunset.

    There are some cenotes in the area with Cenote Azul being the most famous. We decided to skip them after hearing about a great little town to visit called Mahahual. A dreamy fishing Mexican pueblo with an influx of Cruise ship tourists twice a day for about two hours. After a quick trip to Chetumal (Tony insisted on getting a new tablet), we hopped on a bus to head back to the Caribbean coast, to dreamy Mahahual....
    Read more