Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Touchdown #17, London, England

    August 30, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Look out Houghton family, we are coming to visit. Another reunion with a friend from Taiwan, Nicola and her family. And finally our children will meet!

    What brought us here?
    Our London-through-Taiwan friend and her family. Starting to sound like a broken record. Another survivor of the Taiwan teaching adventure, we met Nicola on the main street of Touliu and never looked back. Our friendship started early in our adventure which gave us lots of time to get to know each other. During many nights, over many beers we laughed, cried, complained and laughed some more at the day-to-day experiences of being a ‘stranger in a strange land’. Since those days there have been marriages, children, new homes, and a few visits… all while staying in touch.
    This visit will finally mark the day when our next generations collide, Isaac and Oliver will meet Harriet, Kate and Sebastian, and who knows what adventures they all might share one day?

    DYK: During our visit to London the bell tower ‘Big Ben’ will be silent while undergoing a 3-year extensive repair, conservation and refurbishment. This means there will be no regular striking, chiming or tolling. Scaffolding and coverings will also block some views of the tower. This will be only the 4th time in the bells almost 160-year history it has been turned ‘off’. This reno will also install the towers first toilet.
    Read more