Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Sandbar Excursion

    March 9, 2023 on the Maldives ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    After traveling half way across the world, to one of the most remote places, why stop there?

    Today we boated out to our own private sandbar, equipped with a tuna sandwich (cut into triangles 😍) picnic. After the boat dropped us and the snacks off they gave us an emergency 90s-esque phone, said have fun, and headed back to the resort ~10 minutes away. We were to have the whole sandbar to ourselves for the next 4 hours.

    No worries, we didn't need the burner phone.. my phone got 5G!

    We spent the next few hours marveling at the crystal clear water, meeting the local crabs and birds, snorkeling, reading, and enjoying a nice bottle of Sancerre.

    It was absolutely stunning, you could walk out far in the sand and the water was perfectly refreshing in the warm sun.

    As we wrapped up our 3rd hour and the remaining wine, we noticed a storm quickly approaching our little spec of sand in the middle of the open and very empty sea. Soon enough we were being whipped by sand and desperately tying down the umbrella and protecting the last remaining french fries from an onslaught of rain. All why crying from laughter at the ridiculousness of our situation. As we held things down and onto our rain drenched hats, I sent a quick text to our butler asking for a ride due to the storm. "Would you like a ride now?" our Butler asks! Why yes that'd be lovely, but you know take your time.

    All in all the boat came through just as the storm was wrapping up, right around our normal scheduled departure time. Nice thing is storms here last only a handful of minutes. Igor and I agreed, it truly enhanced the experience and made for an extra memorable experience.
    Read more