Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Up the mountain

    December 20, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ -3 °C

    On our first full day in Garmisch we trekked up the tallest mountain in Germany: Zugspite.

    Our adventure started with a nice 30 min walk to the train station along the geologischer lehrpfad trail.

    The train part of our journey goes from Garmisch up to Eibsee and then up the mountain in a cogwheel train! The cogwheel train is a cool work of machinery, allowing the train to go up steep slopes of the mountain, climbing over 1,700 meters up. It goes through many tunnels built into the mountain and comes out to one of the mountain tops for skiing.

    From here we have a quick cable car ride up to the peak! Up at the top we are basically in a clouds and eat lunch in the panorama restaurant.

    Up top we strolled around the outside which was very artic feeling. Lots of whipping wind and ice covered equipment. Up here the peak marks the border between Germany and Austria. A short stroll across the top let's us walk into Austria for a few minutes :)

    To get down we rode the big cable car back to Eibsee and got some beautiful views of the Bavarian forest and the Eibsee lake.
    Read more