Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 192

    Lake Argyle

    June 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We had a fantastic 3 nights at the Lake Argyle CP ($35 pn). The famous Infinite Pool was beautiful although very cold. We braved the water on the first day in order to get the signature photo, and I promptly got out to thaw.

    We did the lunch cruise on the lake (the largest man made lake in the southern hemisphere) where we spotted kites, fed fish (catfish), stopped to view a few of the 30 thousand freshwater crocs and fed some rock wallabies on an island. We stopped for a beaut lunch including Silver Cobbler (bloody catfish), and Marg had a swim off the back of the boat.

    Really enjoyed the Durack Homestead & Museum which was dismantled stone by stone, and rebuilt above the water line when the dam was built. Did some 4 wheel driving up to a ridge which had fantastic views across the lake and where several famous marketing photos have been taken of Lake Argyle.

    Had our first mechanical issue of our trip...on inspecting the underside of the van, I found a large crack in the chassis where the chassis meets the a-frame. The mechanic at the park welded it up for us and we are going to get someone in Kununurra to weld some plates over it to make sure.

    Beautiful weather 19-31°
    Read more