Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 207

    Barn Hill Station

    July 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Had a fantastic week at Barn Hill! It's a working cattle station, that have turned their hand to tourism by creating a camping ground right on the beach. They have been doing this for over 30 years and it's a great set up. There are powered sites (The Village), in the main area, but we preferred the unpowered sites strung along the red cliffs fronting the beach. They have a great bowling green set up, where we spent a few hours playing against Robert & Karen, our neighbours from Mackay. There is also a little shop that sells the basics as well as baked sausage rolls, fresh bread, vanilla slice, lamingtons etc which are all made at the homestead. They have many activities organised for the guests including bowls competitions, games, craft circles, Tai Chi, Sunday markets, and a Sunday roast night including a live band.

    The beach was huge and we spent most afternoons sitting in various rock pools watching the sunsets. This is predominantly fishing country, and there were lots of fisherman spread out along the beach although not a lot of fish caught. We saw a couple of people swimming in the ocean, but the threat of sharks kept most people out. The whale season is just starting here and we heard various reports of whales being sighted, but weren't lucky enough to see any ourselves.

    A great relaxing stay...temperature 16-30°
    Read more