Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Sculptural Move

    November 27, 2013 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013

    Wednesday 27 November

    I can only thank the Good Shepherd most sincerely! We did indeed wake up to more of the same and decided to cut our losses and move on, as we had a long drive to Dunedin ahead of us. On our way out of the hotel, who should come to say goodbye, but our friendly Kea and this time we managed to get so close as to see the whites of his eyes. There are photos! I was so thrilled, sad little bird watcher that I am!! The drive back down the approach road was just as spectacular and quite by chance I happened to look round and lo and behold the clouds had parted just sufficiently to glimpse the summit of Aoraki and her attendants. I yelled, Reg screamed to a halt and we all tumbled out cameras in hands. The resulting shots are not fantastic to be honest. It is one of those occasions to hold in the mind and remember that the mighty mountain showed herself momentarily as a fitting climax and we are suitably grateful.
    We arrived in Oamaru in time for lunch, a town famed for its white granite buildings. All very Victorian and strangely incongruous in its small town setting. What had really attracted us was the Steampunk HQ, which a chance acquaintance had said we must not miss and we took her at her word. What on earth are you on about I hear you cry and in truth before the visit we thought exactly the same. It is an exhibition gallery housed in old Grain Elevator and is an unbelievable collection of quirky sculpture that mixes retro, futuristic, sci-if, sound and visual art featuring steam powered technology. The overall effect is unlike anything I have ever seen and is mind blowing. It is the work of two artists, a sculptor and a sound and visual artist and if you ever have the chance to visit this part of the South Island please put it on your list. I have tried to take some photos to give you an idea, but I suspect they will only hint at the impact.
    Following this encounter we drove further south towards Dunedin, stopping at Moeraki to view it's boulders. Yes, I jest not. We move from a sculptural experience of man's ingenious mind to one that only Mother Nature could devise. These are 2m grey spheres scattered across the beach, their surrounding softer rock bed being eroded away over thousands of years. They are an amazing sight. I could give you a detailed description of their formation, but I fear you may drop off, so I'll leave it for another time! Peter was totally underwhelmed, but then he never has had a suitable appreciation of physical geography I'm afraid. By now a strong southerly was blowing all the way from the Antarctic and it was freezing. There was no sitting basking in the sun on this beach, we hi-tailed it back to the shelter of the car ASAP after the usual photo session.
    Dunedin eventually appeared on the horizon and we ventured forth into the Edinburgh of the Southern Hemisphere to find some supper. One of the first sights we saw was a pair of guys warming up their bagpipes, in full Highland dress, fags in hand. Astonished would not be the word. We gathered they were to pipe in the haggis for a formal dinner at the Town Hall. It was still bitterly cold and it must have been mighty draughty under those kilts! Dunedin appears at first glance to be more Scottish than Scotland. At our restaurant this evening, we could have dined on Cullen Skink and Haggis, washed down by any one of 350 whiskey on offer. Goodness knows what we will find tomorrow.
    Read more