Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Hot Tubs with a Difference!

    December 8, 2013 in New Zealand

    Hamner Springs, Canterbury, New Zealand
    Sunday, December 8, 2013

    It is a relatively short journey to Hamner Springs from Christchurch and we arrived here at 1pm. It is a lovely drive in on SH 7. Hamner Springs is set at medium altitude surrounded by mountains. They are not high enough to be snow topped, but overlap with great effect. The large village has been a Spa for the past 125 years and the hotel we are staying in has distinct hints of Art Deco grandeur. The whole village has an Alpine feel, probably deliberately engineered, but very attractive none the less. We are only here for one night, but it is small enough to get to grips with quickly. We decided that we had to give the Spa a try this afternoon and were assured it was quiet for the time of year. We set off swimmers under arm and were astounded to be greeted by a seeming wall of humanity in steaming pools as far as the eye could see. We blanched and bolted for the private pools for the first half an hour. They take the shape of a sauna style plunge pool, between 38-41 degrees with a glass wall on to a small garden. We changed with some relief at being alone and plunged into the thermal bath. There was a communal gasp of indrawn breath. It was so hot, we were out again in two shakes and proceeded to takes the sensible option and ease ourselves in a little more warily. By the time we were fully immersed it was time to come out!
    So imagine the scene, two rather self conscious types hovering in the corner wondering which of the twelve different spas to hit next. We did seriously think of a cup of Earl Grey and a cake instead, but knew we would be chickening out! The sulphur pool was hot, but because you are in the open air, it seemed more bearable. The Aqua jet pool was next, just great for the back and so it went on. There were some amazing sights as you can imagine and we ended up feeling quite respectable. After a couple of hours we were suitably relaxed and prune like and felt the long overdue cuppa could be put off no longer. We staggered back to the Heritage Hotel over the road gasping with thirst by now and I am writing to you now in the very comfortable lounge. Christmas is so close and yet there is nothing really evident here. A sad, artificial, white, lit tree stands rather forlornly in the corner and an even sadder Father Christmas is perched on the edge of the reception desk and Bing Crosby is crooning the usual Christmas songs. It seems as if there is the obligatory hint at the Festive Season, but nothing serious. The fact that it is sunny outside, vibrantly green and light until 9.30pm all adds to the sense of unreality. Oh God, here comes Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, it's time for a large glass of something soothing and I don't mean Horlicks!
    Cheers!

    PS I realise that I owe Matt an apology. Having exchanged emails with Selina, it appears that we visited the wrong Bungee jump in Queenstown. To our horror there are two in the area and Matt hurled himself off the other one - three times the height and therefore even greater courage required. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed not to have seen it!
    Read more