Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    On the Road to Abel Tasman

    December 10, 2013 in New Zealand ⋅ 16 °C

    Kaiteriteri, Tasman, New Zealand
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013

    For once we did not hurry this morning, as we only had a short distance to travel to our Abel Tasman accommodation and we were keen to admire that view for a little longer! We really liked Nelson, admittedly we have only had a glimpse, but it gives a good first impression. The town is named after Admiral Lord Nelson and it's main streets commemorate his Captains at the Battle of Trafalgar, Hardy and Collingwood and some of the battles fought and the ships he commanded. Interesting for a Norfolk girl!
    Chatting to the waitress in the The Boathouse where we had breakfast, we received a couple of good tips to include in the forthcoming journey, which we duly did. The first was to take the scenic coastal loop via Ruby Bay, which was gorgeous as you will see from the photos and the second was to call at Jester's House Cafe at Tasman for lunch. In truth we scarcely needed lunch after an excellent breakfast, but what the heck; the cafe had just won Best Cafe in New Zealand for 2013 and clearly needed our seal of approval! It was a novel entrance to the cafe grounds - fording a small stream- to gain access to the car park. It is a quaint almost olde English style house with loggia and outside tables in a very pretty garden set with various art works. The place was heaving, which was not I suppose a great surprise, but we managed to find a table and perused the menu. It soon became apparent just why it had won such an accolade. We dined on the house smoked fish salad and shared a local cheese platter, adorned with nasturtium flowers and home made bread, biscuits and chutneys. To drink we indulged in homemade lemonade and freshly squeezed pear juice. Mouth watering or what and that is just a sample of a n extremely tempting menu. Everyone was very friendly as we have found without exception here in NZ and the service first class. As a novelty, there are tame eels to feed in the stream running through the property. You can stroke them so we were told, but I'll pass!
    As Peter was paying I started to chat to a couple of ladies who were part of a large group lunching with great hilarity. They reminded me of a flower group and I wasn't far out. They called themselves the Crafty Tarts and met together regularly to learn new crafts , make friends and pass on their knowledge. Like a flower club, but with needle and thread, or such like. All had beautiful hand made name tags and some had made special Christmas pieces for the lunch. One lady had a knitted Christmas hat, at the bottom of which protruded feet and the little chap wandered about the loggia singing Christmas songs. He was charming and if I could've brought him home for Rafe, I would have done so in a flash. However, he was not for sale, understandably, I wouldn't have parted with him either!
    This is very much an arts and crafts area. There are Artist studios of varying types all over the place, open for you to view. I could have easily spent a day doing just that, but for PL it would be something of a yawn, so we cut it short.
    Moving on we passed through Motueka and Kaiteriteri, before finding Split Apple Lodge our B&B for the next 2 nights. What a setting once more. High on a ridge, in a very New Zealand garden, looking one way out over Tasman Bay and the other over Abel Tasman NP. We are the only guests tonight so we have the run of the place. It is a real home from home and Paulette and Bert very hospitable. We have had a light supper at the Park Cafe at Marahua and are contemplating our trip tomorrow - a kayak tour and wildlife walk. Yes I know, we are mad, but in my defence, it seemed like a good idea last February! Wish us luck and our guide even more!
    Read more