Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    KLCC Symphony Lake - and more rain

    October 18, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Decided to use the day to go sightseeing. The rain last night had left the gold paint washing off onto the black. Forecasting more rain, may as well be tourists.

    We’ve looked around the Petronas Towers before as they were built on the site of the old race course and Bun’s old house. However, we’d never been around the Symphony Lake

    “Within KLCC Park, sited at the esplanade outside of Suria KLCC, lies the 10,000 sq ft man-made Lake Symphony. Two musical fountains display over 150 unique programmed animations in a magical performance of sound and water. KLCC Lake Symphony Light and Sound Water Fountain showtimes are 8pm, 9pm and 9.45pm daily.

    The park is lovely because of the native trees and the birds. Mr and Mrs Sun Bird were whizzing about the trees. The lake was unimpressive, but then it wasn’t showtime. We nipped into the complex below the towers to find a coffee and to decide where to go next. A walk to a mall where we used to go with the kids, via the aquarium seemed a good idea, only to come out into daylight to find another storm pouring down. Plan B, a taxi to the mall.

    The mall was going through a revamp. Somehow it just wasn’t very interesting. There are hundreds of shops and this year’s main merchandise was optical glasses. Previous years it’s been cameras, games machines, computers etc. While all of that is still available, glasses shops predominated.

    Decided to ride the new monorail 🚝 to have a different view of the city. It’s certainly different being above the streets with nothing either side of you. I wondered how they changed the trains over from the up line to the down line and was fascinated by the track swapping over.

    Rained most of the afternoon. Streets in KL were flooded. Is there a theme to our holidays. Will areas of desert in Australia experience the first rainfall this century when we visit? Never mind, should get a few hours painting done tomorrow morning.

    Dinner was unusual. Rather than a food hall we went to a stall for a takeaway. Nothing was priced, nothing was weighed and people put what they wanted into varying sizes and shapes of containers. At the end a young woman looked at what you had and told you how much to pay. No one argued.
    Read more