Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Refuge from the storm

    November 25, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We walked out of the gorge at about 4:30. For the last 20 minutes we had been hearing thunder rumbling around.

    Back at camp I went to the kitchen area to do some washing up just as it started to rain. Within a minute the rain cam down hard. I continued with the washing up (the kitchen area is a corrugated iron roof on legs under which there are benches, sinks and BBQs) when Bun came to join me - she does t like thunder and lightening.

    I stoped washing up as the rain was coming in and the sinks were near the edge. Then an achidna wandered in and through the kitchen, quite bizarre.

    The rain turned to hail which hit the iron roof like golf balls.

    Across the site we saw a wallaby running towards the kitchen area it came skidding in and stood in front of us. It would have only been more comical had it tuned around and said “it’s blood wet out there”. It stood with is, waiting for the rain to ease. I thought it could have helped with the washing up but, as the wallaby pointed out, she hadn’t created the mess. Another wallaby came and stood under a tree just outside the kitchen area.

    After 20 minutes the storm had abated, the wallabies went back to munching grass, I went back to my washing up and Bun went down to the creek to try and spot platypuses!
    Read more