Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Lady Elliot -Day one - Turtles on beach

    November 28, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After our sit on the beach, dash back for dinner, 15 minute presentation about turtles and our wilderness tour during which we were taken out to see ghost crabs, large hermit crabs, stars, constellations, galaxies and the Milky Way, we decided to walk to the lighthouse to verify it did actually have 6 beams, and then walk back along the beach.

    The lighthouse in the photo was replaced in the 1990s by a hideous automated contraption that is taller and better than the original lighthouse. The last family to live there didn’t have a happy existence, the husband died, the wife dressed in her Sunday best and walked of the pier to kill herself and the daughter died from flu. I’m not sure of the sequence of events. Apparently the wife comes back to visit the island - spooky.

    The new lighthouse does have six beams. We were told that some guests believe there is another lighthouse to the east of the island and do not believe that it is the beam from the Lady Elliot lighthouse. As we watched the beams sweep around, it was easy to see why as it appears that the light is coming from the horizon - well it did to us.

    As we walked along the beach we stayed near the water’s edge so as not to disturb any turtles. Despite the lack of a moon and no ambient light, the sky was clear and there was sufficient light to see our way.

    We came across a set of turtle tracks and followed them up the beach to find a large green turtle digging a nest. We retreated and watched. As we sat watching, we saw another come out of the sea and haul itself up the beach to almost the same place that the other one was. Shortly after she had managed to get up a ridge, we could see sand being thrown up in the air. Meanwhile, the first turtle gave up the digging and went back to the sea. We watched the second turtle continue to dig the nest but only stayed a short while before going back to the water’s edge to continue our walk back to our accommodation. Very soon we came across another turtle pulling herself up the beach. We watched her go past before continuing on our way. We agreed to explore the tracks and nest the next day. Off to bed.
    Read more