Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 49

    Lady Elliot - Day 2

    29. November 2019 in Australien ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Let’s hope this footprint works OK.

    Up early, walked along the beach to see what we could find of the turtle nests. We examined one and found large rocks where she had been digging which, I guess, will be why she gave up.

    Another track shows a turtle coming up from the sea, high onto the beach, trying a few places and then back to the sea. The nests all look part-dug, but none filled in. We assume she didn’t lay any eggs

    Back for breakfast before going on a guided glass-bottom kayak paddle around the lagoon. We probably didn’t see anything we hadn’t already seen, but it was interesting chatting to the guide and finding out a bit more about the island and the wildlife.

    Straight from the paddle to a glass bottomed boat and snorkelling trip. That was great fun. Visibility was more than 22m - we know that because we were taken to a wreck that is in 22 m of water and it was very easy to see. Again, no manta rays 😩. When snorkelling we saw many turtles, a large reef shark and much more ... but no manta rays.

    We had a snack for lunch .... including more sweet potato chips. Bun went and took more photos, I drank more iced coffee to rehydrate and then we went fish feeding and a quick reek walk before showering, changing and going to catch the plane. It isn’t actually reef walking, because that would be illegal and very stupid, it’s sand walking between the coral at low tide. We found lots of little fish etc.

    The flight back was uneventful, again the pilot did a circle around the island one way and then the other so that everyone had a good view and could take photos.

    Bertha was waiting, started and we went back to the same campsite we’d stayed at before we left for Elliot Island. We made use of the bistro - probably less of a bistro and more of a cafe. Off to bed
    Weiterlesen