Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Waterfall Way and the Rainforest Centre

    January 13, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    After our dip under the waterfall, we drove into the small town of Dorrigo near the falls. The town serves the farming community and is not a tourist town. There are lots of old heritage buildings.

    We went to the information centre as we needed to decide whether to return to the coast or stay on the plateau and go along the waterfall way. The 185km Waterfall Way scenic drive links Coffs harbour and Armidale, passing rainforest, river valleys and waterfalls, including New England and Dorrigo national parks. The decision was made for us. While the road was open, the parks along the way were all shut, having been burnt out and all of the lookouts destroyed or made unusable by the fire.

    On the way back we visited the Rainforest Centre that is on the edge of the escarpment facing east toward the coast. It features a “skywalk” and 6-7km rainforest walk. The walk felt a lot further than the quoted distance, but was great fun and interesting plus included another waterfall to walk behind - twice in one day!

    After our walk around the rainforest we headed down the escarpment to the town of Uranga and found campsite next to the estuary. There is a 1km boardwalk along the estuary and mangrove swamp that we walked along to the beach and had a quick paddle.
    Read more