Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 97

    Rain and wind

    January 16, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We looked around Port Macquarie, stopped at a couple of lookouts and consulted with the staff at the information centre to find if our planned journey was achievable? No, it wasn’t. There have been many fires in the area. While the park we were hoping to drive into hasn’t had a fire, there is only one road in/out and the park authorities are worried about evacuating the park if there is a fire. It’s raining and the fire risk is the lowest possible that can be shown on their fire risk dials. Never mind.

    We had lunch at the Beach Bum cafe and chose to sit under cover to keep away from the rain, but it was still very windy. As we drove further south the heavens opened and we pulled off the road, found a river-side car park and ... made a cuppa. We waited for the storm to subside before driving on to find a campsite which we found in the town of Bulahdelah at their Bowling Club “RV Stop”.

    There are many names given to “senior” people who travel around as we are doing, grey nomads, silver nomads, grey geris (geriatrics? ). During one news coverage of the fires where they were evacuating the tourists, one newscaster referred to RVs (recreational vehicles) as “retirement vehicles” and then had to quickly correct himself. I wonder if that is another perception?
    Read more