Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 106

    On the road again. Kiama

    January 25, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Not wishing to outstay our welcome we set off to go south. The only problem we came across was that this is the start of the Australia Day weekend and Monday is a bank holiday so all of the campsites are full. We almost thought of turning back to stay the weekend with Dom and Christine.

    Eventually we found a site in Berry, on their show ground.. Nothing special but safe but a bit further south than we’d planned.

    The show ground is next to the rail station, but the trains go through very quietly, we hardly hear them, apart from their quick “toot”.

    The next day we decided to backtrack and visit Kiama where there is a Saturday market and a blow hole we want to visit. The parking was near the station and we were surprised to see the sign for picking people up!

    The market was nothing special, the blowhole ... not quite the spectacle we had hoped for. The beach was almost black sand, yet the beaches either side were the usual yellow sand and I can’t find out why.

    On the way back to the campsite we decided to go to 7 mile beach for a quick swim. Australia was imperial measurements before it joined the EU and was then forced to go metric,any newly discovered places will have to be named in kilometres, kilos and grams 😊

    The beach is a long sandy beach that is used for surf schools due to the gentle surf conditions. Today it was windy, reminding me of Whitby with the sand blowing across the beach. The sea was not warm, the breeze was cool, we did not stay in for very long.

    We decided to take the scenic route home and missed a sign that said there was a low bridge ahead; we are 3.5m high, the bridge was 3.2m. There was no disaster but we had to go back several miles to get another route. On the way to the bridge we had to stop because a tree had partly fallen and branches were blocking the road. The police helped us to get past, 5 minutes later we retuned to be helped past again.
    Read more