Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 131

    Melbourne - day three

    February 19, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    The weather is as depressing today as it was yesterday.. A friend took us to “The Camel’s Hump” lookout so that we could see the view. Unfortunately it was up in the clouds and we couldn’t see much, but at least we stretched our legs on the walk up there.

    We were dropped off at the station and caught the train back into the city where we took the challenge of getting around by tram. First stop was back at the Shrine of Remembrance”. A lovely building that has a large central room where the memorial to servicemen is, but this is surrounded by approx 100 brick pillars that support the shrine and this space contains the exhibitions. We found the exhibits a bit disjointed because of all of the pillars.

    After the shrine we ventured back onto a tram to return to the central area to catch the City Circle Tram - “The City Circle, also referred to as Melbourne tram route 35 is a zero-fare tram running around the Melbourne City Centre in Australia. Aimed mainly at tourists, the route passes many Melbourne attractions while running along the city centre's outermost thoroughfares, ...”. These are old trams and the one we caught was standing room only. No air conditioning made the tram the warmest place we’d been over the last few days 😊. Unfortunately we couldn’t hear the information that was being played to tell us about the places we passed, but at least we were warm and stayed dry.

    We stayed on the tram around to Queen Victoria Market that becomes a night market on Wednesdays during the summer months. This is predominantly a food market with many stalls preparing, cooking and selling a wide range of food. We met our friend Monica who had never been to the evening market. As with many markets there was also a range of live music being played at three different locations.
    Read more