Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 139

    Millicent Museum and Robe

    February 27, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    A rather late departure from the campsite after picking fresh veg from their garden.

    We have had our first breakage in Bertha, a real forest world problem, my small cafetière has cracked - lucky we also have a large one. There’s nowhere in Millicent that will sell a new one, so we thought we’d try the op shops (charity shops) to see if there was one; there wasn’t.

    We visited the information centre that has a museum attached and spent an hour or so looking around then displays. They have lots of horse drawn carts, carriages etc as well as information on local shipwrecks, some old dresses and uniforms worn. Bun almost picked a fight with 3 aussie blokes who made a comment that women wouldn’t be able to get their waists into the dresses these days. As they were three walking beer bellies, I’m surprised Bun didn’t simply say “pot calling the kettle black”, but instead she just said that she challenged them about that (and sucked in her waist). They did backtrack and almost apologise. I don’t think they’d seen Bun in the dark corner, lucky it hadn’t been their wives.

    After Millicent we went onto Robe, a coastal town with a good vibe. As we were quizzing the information centre, we heard some music coming out from a back room and found that there was t be a concert later that night. “Tribute to MTV Unplugged with Louise Adams”. Louise was a runner up in the Australian X-Factor in 2015.

    We decided that tonight would be a treat. Robe is well known for its fresh fish and there are a few good restaurants so we booked a table at one and then found a campsite that would give us a about a 15 minute walk back into town.

    Disappointingly the food was OK, but not special. Louise Adams was a fun concert. She played a number of tracks that had been played on MTV unplugged in the 1990s, plus a few of her own tracks. On Sunday she is performing at the Adelaide Fringe, so this is simply a warm up. There were probably no more than 50 people in the audience, a lot were family and friends, plus three dogs.

    The walk back to the campsite was very quiet, I think the whole town was in bed as only a few cars passed us during our walk back to Bertha.
    Read more