Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Fjords and Fishing Villages

    September 11, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Today was a rather relaxing day. We drove to a nearby town called Seyðisfjörður. Its basically a fishing orientated town with some very cute looking houses. Just so happens we arrived on a Tuesday, the day when a giant cruise ship called MS Norrona from Denmark arrives. So we were lucky to see that.

    We explored the town for a little bit. Hiked up a small hill nearby to get an ariel view of the town. When we got up the hill, we saw sculptures called Tvísöngur. They are 5 interconnected domes of different sizes which represents Icelandic musical tradition of five tone harmony. We spent about half an hour up that hill mainly taking pictures of scenery. Then, we headed back down and walked by the harbour for a while. Of course we also visited the Rainbow Street which had a Blue Church instead of a pot of gold at the end of it.

    After lunch, we drove out of Seyðisfjörður to head east toward the Lake Mývatn region. We took Route 93 and made a brief stop at Gufufoss Waterfall by the road. Fun fact: This route and waterfall were featured in the movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty".

    It took a 2 hour drive along this scenic route but we finally arrived at Krafla Lava Fields. We passed by a geothermal station prior to that and the sulphur smell really has a way of getting into the car even with windows closed and air conditioning off. A little bit of Krafla - The Krafla Fires were a series of volcanic eruption between the 1970s and 1980s, the last being September 1984. Currently the lava fields still have steam actively blowing out of the ground.

    The last stop was the highlight of my day - The Mývatn Naturebath. About 10 minutes drive from our previous stop and ISK 5000 per entry, this blue lagoon is simply magnificent. It's brilliant blue waters and warm temperature coupled with the cool Icelandic air is simply the best spa treat anyone could ask for.
    We have been on the move the past few days so this rest stop was much needed. We spent almost 2 hours here and got out once our hands became wrinkly.

    About 10 minutes away lied our accomodation Vogafjos Guesthouse where we rested up before our next move tomorrow.
    Read more