Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Journey to Snæfellnes Peninsula

    September 14, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We left at about 8am in the morning. Took about an hour drive til we reached a secluded hot pot called Gunđrúnarlaug. There was nobody there when we got there and there is a small changing room. So my friends jumped in. I just soaked my feet because I was too lazy to change. We spent about half an hour here before hitting the road again.

    On the way to the next town, Stykkishólmur, we passed by some scenic sights. We saw the Breiđafjörđur islands from the road. In Stykkishólmir we walked up the hill towards the lighthouse and took some scenic shots from the cliffs by the sea.

    Then we continued driving and stumbled upon Mt. Kirkjufell and Kirkjufellfoss (the waterfall). This has been known as the most photographed spot in island and I can understand why now that I've seen it personally.

    It was around 3pm when we reached the Northstar Guesthouse in Ólafsvík. We checked in and headed out again toward Snæfellsjökull National Park. Plenty of rock formations and sea scapes to be seen. But most importantly, we can see Snæfellsjökull itself even while driving in the car. This 700000 year old stratovolcano looks simply spectacular even from a distance.

    We returned to Ólafsvík feeling famished so we went to the restaurant next to our guesthouse and gobbled down a generous amount of food. The place was called Hraun and they were known for their blue mussels. So naturally that is what we ordered. We also tried their lobster pizza. The food was splendid. Of course, so was the bill. But oh well. Times like these I tell myself YOLO!
    Read more