Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Snæfellsjökull National Park and Silfra

    September 15, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    Today is our last day of Icelandic adventure as we have a flight to Oslo at 7.50am tomorrow. We are headed back towards Reykjavik today so our first stop was seal watching at Ytri Tunga beach, which is a part if Snaæfellsjökull National Park. There are grey and harbour seals here. We got to see some but they were far away in the water as there was a large tour group on the beach.

    Then we continued to the Gerđuberg Cliffs (also a part of the national park). These cliffs are the longest belt of basalt columns in Iceland. Getting on top of them was pretty easy. It was really windy so we didn't stay there for long.

    Then we drove another one and a half hours to þingvellir National Park because we had booked Silfra snorkelling at 1pm with Troll Expeditions. Its interesting because we were actually snorkelling in a the Silfra fissure between the American and Eurasian tectonic plates. This fissure is filler with glacial water so we could actually drink it while moving through it. The water was so clear, not to mention cold. 0It was 2°C but we wore dry suits so only our faces and hands had contact with water. My hair got wet too but I didn't realize it until after I took off the mask. The whole tour took around 30 minutes. After that we were given hot chocolate and cookies. Perfect way to end our trip in Iceland.

    Nothing much after that. We just went to our hostel at the outskirts of Reykjavik called Vibrant Iceland hostel to rest for the day. Got to wake up early for out flight back to Oslo later.
    Read more