Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Medellín

    September 18, 2022 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Medellín. A city that definitely had a reputation in the past and for good reason. It still wears some scars of its past but, just as they say, the city has matured immensely since the time of Escobar.

    I'll admit I was even a bit nervous to go out at first but as we spent some time and got to know the area we quickly felt comfortable. The locals as always were very friendly and helpful, this VIEWS of this city are magnificent beyond description and there is not an ounce of justice to be done by the photos. It's something you just have to see for yourself.

    We fed ourselves, snacks included for 4 days for under 50 CAD total, our room was equally cheap, in a safe neighborhood close to the metro system, which is is the pride of the city. It was a great experience taking the metro cable to the highest point of the city, 1200m above the core below.

    We visited Parque Arvi, Botanical Gardens (during a massive book fair) and the Parque Explora which was a ton of fun for adults and kids alike with interactive exhibits of the mind, music, time and film. There was an aquarium, many opportunities for funny photos and more. We had a beer in El Poblado, and saw some HILARIOUS art from Fransisco Botero, the city's most famous artist. (We are looking forward to seeing more in Bogotá).

    And I have to say the climate is absolutely perfect. Half Jungle, half alpine. Not too hot and not too cold, thunderstorms at night. It's truly a wonderful city and I look forward to the day we return.
    Read more