Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Bogotá

    September 22, 2022 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Bogotá is a HUGE city. 7.9 million at 2600m above sea level at the beginning (or end) of the Andes mountain range.

    First thing we learned is that it does in fact get cold at this altitude. It wasn't too bad during the days but once the sun goes down (at 6 pm sharp this time of year) it can be quite chilly, even for Canadians.

    Luckily our BnB had a nice fire place and they left us some wood for the evenings. Our first was super cold though while we learned this lesson.

    The next biggest takeaway was that the traffic here was INSANE. Coming back from Zipa, it took us 4 hours to travel 56 kilometers. Didn't exactly ruin it for us but after 3 days we are ready for some country side.

    We got to chat with some firefighters to trade the first EMS patch for some of the locals which was really fun, it was nice to chat with them and they seemed really happy to help. Pretty sure they cut one of the patches straight off a uniform to give to us!

    All in all we enjoyed Bogotá, the views from Monserrate were incredible even if the weather wasn't perfect, Zipa was absolutely worth time, and did get to play some Tejo, where you throw a metal weight at packets of gunpowder. It's like Colombian darts meets corn hole meets, well, gunpowder.

    This was our last stop in Colombia. Ecuador tomorrow and straight to Otavalo via Quito. We both look forward to the day we return to Colombia to see some of the many things we couldn't this go round.

    Viva Colombia!
    Read more