Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Cusco

    October 31, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    There's a lot to unpack about Cusco. It's the hub for exploring the remnants of the Inca Empire. There are SO many archeological sites in the city and the surrounding area its hard to keep track. Pisac was amazing and close by, the fortress at Saqsaywaman, the old temple of Qorikancha, Qenqo, the museums, its crazy! And that's not even to mention the other towns of the sacred valley, Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu.

    We spent a week in the area and definitely got our fill of Incan history and ruins. We did the rainbow mountain hike on our last day, and I have to say, the rainbow mountain is NOT the coolest part of that hike.

    The air is super thin, the hike starts at 4200m above sea level and the peak is at over 5000m! The huge mountains on either side of the valley coming up are a sight to behold, and the incredible Auzangate mountain is waiting for you as you crest the hill to the Rainbow Mountain. Of course the pictures do absolutely no justice, but I digress.

    We enjoyed our time here, but it is very touristy and the locals can be quite pushy. After a week we both very much felt its time to get away from the hustle and bustle that is Cusco. Hoping for some peace and quiet in Arequipa, then it will be on to Bolivia!
    Read more