Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    Perito Moreno

    December 18, 2022 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We had initially planned to spend a day in Perito Moreno to see a cave with prehistoric hand paintings inside.

    But as we go on, we've been prioritizing a bit better and decided to skip here to spend more time in El Chaltén to maximize our mountain time.

    We still planned to spend a night here to break up what would have otherwise been a ridiculously long drive.

    We also planned to stop here to be back in Argentina for the world cup final.

    We did indeed make it back in time to watch (most of) the game, only to find an absolute ghost town.

    No people, no cars, no dogs, not a tumbleweed in sight. Nothing open. We couldn't even find a bar to watch the game!!

    Driving up and down the avenue, Anna happened to spy a small group of people in a bakery watching the game. They graciously allowed us to join them, (the jersey Zach got in Mendoza may have helped) and we were able to watch the drama unfold in a bread shop with a small but extremely dedicated group of fans.

    Argentina became world Champs and in no more than 2 minutes the streets were absolutely flooded with people, sirens, horns, music, and absolute jubilation. What had been a ghost town moments prior was now full of life with people dancing on cars and rooftops, climbing street poles, the fire brigade even came out and was hosing down the crowd in celebration.

    It was amazing to be part of, and wonderful to have made some memories where otherwise we may not have had any.

    Viva Argentina! Campeones del Mundo!!!
    Read more