Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 19

    More Bungles

    21 mei 2023, Australië ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    We visited the northern end of the park, which was a stark contrast to the south. No ‘domes’ to speak of, nor any cane toads, instead, towering rock overhead, to make us feel very very small.
    Echidna chasm was interesting, in that we needed to be there right on 11:30 or so, as only then would the sun be in the right spot. Against all odds we made it, and it really was something very special. Very rich red and orange light, along narrow pathways for an eerie effect. As always, the photos don’t do it justice.

    The walk in and out was pretty too, through a gorge filled with palm trees. An unexpected tree here, given the harsh climate just outside the rocks, but they are flourishing in the gorges.

    We finally made it to the visitor centre, and indulged in an ice cream - very well received :) Not only that, but Max happily spent $3 of the $5 the tooth fairy gave him on a lolly bag. Of course, it didn’t last long…

    The next day we headed back that way, this time to do the mini palms gorge walk. This one was a bit tougher - walking along a rocky river bed, then climbing over, under and between huge rocks. A nice view from the top, before heading back the way we came in. Centine refused to nap, so she was particularly ratty by the end. Max tried his valiant best, but was also running out of steam quickly - tripping over his own feet like a puppy. Luckily, some chicken crimpy biscuits awaited us at the car, together with a few other snacks and beers. We all recovered quickly :-)

    Back at camp, and a Kite nest above us has some noisy inhabitants. I don’t have the best lens to photograph sadly (this is already a heavy camera) but you get the idea I think…

    One last day here tomorrow, before packing down and heading back into civilisation, including mobile coverage (a few updates have banked up here) and cafes where other people cook for you. Luxury!
    Meer informatie