Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    The Bungle Bungles

    May 20, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We are now at the Bungle Bungles, or Purnululu National Park, and without mobile coverage for a few more days. This will be a few days worth of update by the time we hit upload…

    This morning, after a wickedly cold night, we had a warming breakfast of porridge, before setting off for the southern end of the park.

    The view of the world famous beehive domes as we approached was spectacular and photos really can’t do the scale and beauty of them justice. After a drive resembling the world rally championships to get there before Centine fell asleep, we set off for cathedral gorge, which unlike the domes wasn’t quite the oasis instagram and other media might have you believe. The air was thick with the smell of rotting cane toads, the pool was a sickly green colour, and so our initial amazement to have the place to ourselves was soon replaced with an understanding as to why :-).

    We moved on quickly, to a lookout over the area, which is really quite beautiful. The boys were brilliant in the walk, and Centine only a little grumpy by the end of the 2hr expedition. A few muesli bars, fruit, some lamington and some warm milk for one, and everyone was happy again.

    Max lost his first tooth today - a beautiful moment with him losing it to a piece of carrot - “Whoa! My tooth fell out!”. The tooth has been carefully packaged in a zip lock bag (so the tooth fairy can find it more easily) and Max is now fast asleep, dreaming of all the toy cars and lollies he will buy with the treasure that surely awaits him in the morning…
    Read more