Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10–13

    Noirmoutier-en-l'ile, Vendée

    April 12 in France ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We've spent a lovely weekend in Normoutier-en-l'Île at the northern part of the island of Normoutier in the Atlantic Ocean. We were blessed with glorious weather to enjoy this very beautiful place.
    We have stayed on a Camping Car Park for 3 nights where we have the use of services including electric hook up.
    The town is very bustling with lots of independent shops and restaurants and on Sunday morning there was a huge market.
    There are lots of walking opportunities which we took advantage of and lots of cyclists. Everywhere was busy with people taking advantage of the good weather.
    We had a long walk to the beach on Saturday afternoon sans puppy (it was just too hot for her to undertake such a long walk), we saw some magnificent houses right on the beach front...the stuff of dreams!
    A fun fact about Normoutier; the Bonotte potato which is only cultivated in Normoutier and only in small quantities is the world's most expensive potato. They are grown in sandy soil that absorbs the ocean scent and are fertilised with seaweed and algae. The land space on which they grow is limited to less than 50 square metres and they are picked exclusively by hand in just one week of the year. That will explain their price of €500 per kilogram!
    It was very peaceful here at night apart from.....the loudest frog chorus we've ever heard (the amphibious type!).
    We are about 13 miles away from where we finished the coastal route part of our holiday last Autumn so we're looking forward to continuing along the coast heading further south.
    Read more