Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    A tale of two wharves - part 2

    October 13, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Refreshed, we head further down the wharf to catch the views of the bay, of the Golden Gate Bridge, and of the famous pier 39 sea-lions. None disappoint. We have a view of Alcatraz, but we'll save that for our visit tomorrow.

    The sea-lions are a lovely distraction. Vocal, boisterous, hugely graceful in the water and somewhat clumsy out of it. There are clearly some interesting social interactions happening here, and we spend a fun ten minutes watching these unfold.

    We head a few miles over to Crissy Field for views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's pretty blustery on the beach, and we walk a ways further to the bridge. Karl is still with us, shrouding the very top of the GGB towers. We take some pictures, I'm sure none of which really represent the size and majesty of the bridge.

    We head inland from the beach towards the Presidio. There's a fountain with a sculpture of Yoda outside Lucasfilm's offices in the park. It's a bit of a trot, some of it uphill, and having visited the fountain, it's time for a mid-afternoon sharpener. We stop at a great sports bar called Final Final, where we encounter a cool bartender, a bottle of Tuaca (which we previously thought only popular in Brighton), and the drinks we need to prep us for the next part of our day.

    We grab a bus back towards Fisherman's Wharf, only to find a monumental queue to take the cable-car back over to the financial district. A quick conflab, and we decide to find a bar instead, and form a new plan. Queues can do one. Conflab completed, we grab another bus back over to the city centre, wander around a little, before finding a very cool, speak-easy style cocktail bar that has a happy hour in full flow. It would be rude not to?

    It's approaching 17:30, and we're all pretty tuckered. We grab an Uber back to our apartment, and order some insanely good Chinese roast duck and roast pork from Go Duck Yourself. It's maybe 20:00, and we're flagging. Ant heads to bed with a Tin Tin book for company, while I find myself close to falling asleep on the sofa while reading my book. I'm tucked up in bed and fast asleep by 21:30, and I doubt Vicki is far behind me...
    Read more