Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 15

    San Francisgo...

    15 Oktober 2022, Amerika Syarikat ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    It's our last day in California, and a we're all a little subdued. Perhaps a little hungover, but mainly subdued. We need to be out of our AirBnB by 10:00, which cues much scurrying and packing. We've really enjoyed our time in San Francisco, and are very sad that it's coming to an end... We haven't much in the way of plans for the day. The proposed long, boozy seafood lunch has been curtailed by Karl's presence over the bay, so we'll just head out and see where the day takes us.

    We grab some breakfast down in the city centre, accompanied by a forthright and spicy Bloody Mary each. Heading down into the Financial District, we find a cable car queue with no one in it, so jump on for a ride over to Polk Gulch. We pass the Fairmont, home of the Tonga Room, and on past Grace Cathedral, which looks incredibly different in the daylight. We head for a much deserved beer in Polk Gulch, in a saloon that has to be the darkest bar I've ever walked into. Even after 5 minutes of my eyes adjusting, it's still difficult to make anything out. Revitalised, we jump back on a cable car to head over to the Theater District, and another bar. More beer/wine etc.

    Finally, we jump on one of the old-fashioned streetcars for a ride over to Fisherman's Wharf. We grab some pretty decent fish and chips, and find ourselves putting roots down in a little saloon not far from the wharf. We scare some other punters because of our frankly brilliant rendition of The Bare Necessities, and have a few drinks to grease the wheels. It's suddenly 5pm, and we need to start making tracks for the airport.

    We pick up our bags from Carlos' place, and jump in yet another Uber to head to SFO. We've managed to keep our Upper Class seats a surprise for Ant, but we're fairly sure he'll twig during the check-in/bag drop process. He doesn't - due to some quick thinking by Vicki. We assume he'll then realise when we head to the Virgin business lounge for a couple of hours. This time it's me with the quick thinking... Finally, we're boarding and the realisation hits. We settle into our comfy pods, and are immediately offered a champagne cocktail. By 23:45 Pacific time, we're all fed, and well watered. I collapse into a deep, restful sleep...
    Baca lagi