Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 11 : Cow, cabernet, clouds

    January 29 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    We’re both a little groggy this morning. Last night was comfortably the latest and booziest night we’ve had while we’ve been here. We’ve nothing much planned today. After being pretty hectic for the past 5 days, we thought a slightly slower day before we head over to the winelands was deserved. We’ve a late lunch booking, and the formings of a plan to head up Table Mountain for sunset.

    Lunch is at a steakhouse called Bo-vine, over in Camps Bay. It’s just over the road from the beach, and the views are stunning. The beef is great - rib-eye for me, and sirloin for Vicki. Incredibly simple food, but sourced well, accurately seasoned, and perfectly chargrilled. A bottle of Warwick Cabernet Sauvignon is a great accompaniment.

    We walk down the beach back to Tiger’s Milk for a post-prandial. Vicki locates a Pina Colada, I bathe in Savanna. The clouds are gathering over Table Mountain. High winds are forecast later this evening, and our planned visit to the top of the mountain is looking increasingly unlikely. While we’re at Tiger’s Milk, we decide to sack it off, and head back to the hotel. Checking the Table Mountain website, we discover that the cableway service has been suspended.

    Back at the Hyde Hotel, we head to the Skye Bar for a glass of Shiraz. It starts to rain. The cloud draping itself over Table Mountain is spectacular to watch. We decide to have a chilled evening, and have some dinner at the hotel. The clouds continue to amaze us. There’s a heavy shroud over Lion’s head now, but out to the coastline the cloud is lifting, and there are some amazing views of the sunset. We’re pretty tuckered, so end up having an early night, and cross fingers for a long and deep sleep…
    Read more