Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Day 17 : Sunday = fun day

    April 21 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    21:50
    We both have brilliant sleeps, in part aided by my going to sleep in the spare room around 03:00, and by there being a thunderstorm around 04:30, which despite us being in separate rooms we join together to watch.

    We head down the beach for some breakfast. It’s warming up, but there’s a beautiful breeze coming off the ocean. When I say it’s breakfast, what I mean is a meal we eat at 11:30, quickly followed by a beer - just so we’re all on the same page.

    Somewhere in the early afternoon, I have a stunning nap. When I wake up, Vicks is nowhere to be seen. I join her at the beach bar, and we have a couple of sharpeners. We’re both in dire need of a shower, so head back to our room to freshen up. We’d thought about going over to Lanta Old Town this evening, which is a 40 minute ride to the East side of the island. We receive intelligence to suggest there’s a very cool sunset bar 20 minutes walk to the South of us, so decide that’s a better bet.

    The walk down the beach is beautiful and knackering. Most of the sand is pretty soft, and we both feel like we’re climbing through quicksand on more than one occasion. The bar we’re heading to (Pangea) is great. A pretty prototypical beach bar, but with awesome house music as the sun sets to the West of us. We order some food, mainly conscious that we’ve not eaten much today, and it’s delicious. We grab another couple of drinks as the sunset dies, and the night sky begins to grow.

    Walking the mile or so back up the beach is no easier, but much more fun. We spot a million crabs running up and down the sand. Near to our hotel, we stop for a vodka+manao. We accidentally end up at our hotel’s beach bar for a glass of wine, before deciding that enough is enough - we need to cool down. Our room is an ice-box. This is a good thing.
    Read more