Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 18

    Day 18 : We are low powered.

    22 avril, Thaïlande ⋅ ☁️ 31 °C

    18:00
    We’re both feeling pretty low powered today. We had a moderately boozy day yesterday, but nothing out of the ordinary, and don’t deserve to feel quite like we do. We mooch in bed for an hour or so, before deciding breakfast might fix us. It doesn’t., so we settle in for a day of rest and recuperation.

    When we head out to grab some lunch, the heat is stifling. We’re back in the 40s, and it feels every degree of it. We’re supposed to be heading to a beach party later, but I suspect we may play that one by ear, depending on how we’re feeling. We’ve moving on to Koh Phi Phi tomorrow, and a quiet night might be to our benefit.

    21:30
    We head back to Second Home for dinner. The whole grilled sea bass we had a couple of days ago was smashing. This time, I have a fillet of barracuda, prepared with a hot, sweet and sour type sauce. V tasty. Vicki has some simple BBQ prawns and some fried rice.

    Sated, we walk all of 100m down the beach to Ozone, where tonight’s beach party is happening. Well, ‘happening’ is really not the word. As we approach, there are two customers in the bar. As we arrive, they get up to leave. We turn around and vamoose. We’ve no issues being the only people in a bar, but it’s a little sad to see what I’m sure is a busy night at the peak of the season reduced to just a handful of punters as the season comes to a close. We pitch up, instead, at our hotel’s beach bar.

    After sitting in the uber comfy chairs for about 10 minutes, we both start to notice drops of rain falling. We’ve seen a couple of rain and thunderstorms from our room in recent days. This feels much lighter. Vicks takes cover, but I sit in the warm rain for a few minutes. Being rained on is one of my very favourite things. Suddenly, it’s a deluge. It is THROWING it down. I decide dryness might be for the best, and join the other patrons cowering under the scant cover. The wind is blowing the rain in sideways, so we creep and creep further to the back of the bar. A Korean couple sitting at the bar open their umbrellas, while they’re sat at the bar. It’s comical.

    After another glass of wine, we decide it’s time to make a run for it. As we walk into the storm, we very quickly realise we have made a significant error. After 15 metres, we are beyond drenched. By the time we reach the reception area 75m away our clothes are entirely stuck to us, and we are dripping wet. We then have a 10m walk to the building our room is in. It’s like walking into a full on rain shower. I’ve never experienced rain this hard that I can remember. It’s crazy. As we open the door to our room, the icy blast of A/C is actually pretty uncomfortable. We quickly strip off the worst of our clothing, and dry down.
    En savoir plus