Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Along the Tauber

    June 4, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We headed back into Rothenburg and through the old town yesterday. The festival was still in full swing with bands playing, locals wandering around in costumes and throngs of tourists. Then we followed the path back onto the Tauber River. The ride was the best yet, a gorgeous valley and interesting encounters along the way. We stopped on a bridge to take a photo of a little chapel and a local out for a walk stopped to chat. In Creglingen we stopped for lunch, the town was eerily quiet, everyone was in Rothenburg, but we found a great little cafe, Michelangelo's, perfect hot chocolate and apple strudel. Before we left other cyclists had followed our lead so we were good for business.
    Even the wildlife was interesting; big white snails creeping across the path.
    Afternoon tea was in Weikersheim in a tranquil town square. Around the square were a series of gold statues, the photo probable doesn't do them justice. The tranquility was shattered when the weekend piping school got back to work after their break. Imagine a dozen or so bagpipe players practicing in a castle courtyard.
    Only about 60K but we had such a great day we didn't get here to Bad Mergentheim until after 5.
    Read more