Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Last day on the Labe

    July 3, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We crossed the river from Litomerice to the small town of Terezin. This town was an important site in Nazi history, it was a Jewish ghetto and "transit" camp. The whole town is a historical site but there is a museum and a former fortress turned into a SS prison.

    Before visiting the museum in Terezin we needed to go to the supermarket for picnic supplies. The supermarket's name was Albert.

    We then followed the 2A path to the town of Roundnice, before joining main path again. We had been expecting poor quality paths today, the last 10K yesterday were a bit rough, but 2A was very good. Roller blades seem popular here, perhaps the roller bladers lobbied for better paths. A very smooth ride into Melnik.

    Our first view of Melnik was the castle and church on top of the hill. Our Pension is down behind this hill but there was a bit of a climb to get around to it. We then found a bar on the terrace of the castle, looking down on the junction of the Labe and the Vltava river. We head along the Vltava tomorrow to Prague. Melnik is a beautiful town, our favourite so far in Czech.
    Read more