Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Robben Island

    June 10, 2010 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Well, as if yesterday wasnt awesome enough, today was another inspiring and breathtaking day.
    It started off with an early trip to Robben Island via a ferry from the Waterfront.
    Seems the prices of cabs in this town are totally random... my trip to the Waterfront cost more than it did to travel double the distance to the city centre yesterday... odd.
    In any case, the ferry ride was great. The trip provided some fantastic views of Cape Town. It was icy up on top of the ferry, but worth it for the views.
    Robben Island itself was well worth the journey. We boarded buses for a guided tour of the Island. The tour guide was fantastic, providing a comprehensive account of the history, facts and significance of the island as a leper colony, barracks, and finally prison. The tour of the prison block itself was really powerful, especially as the tour guide for that part was himself, an ex-political prison who did 6 years there.

    I also met a couple of nice guys from India on this tour, one a Holland supporter, and one supporting Paraguay (understandable, given India wont be at the world cup any time soon).
    Subsequent to Robben Island I'd planned to accompany Matt and Dave to a winery, but it fell through.

    Plan B turned out to be a trip up table mountain with VJ and CJ.
    Table Mountain was incredible... we went up at 2pm and came down after sunset, just before 6. I could have spent even more time up there. The views from every angle are breathtaking. You could just take a photo at random, and it would be a stunner.
    Additionally awesome were these little mouse-mole critters I found up there... who werent shy on posing.
    After hours of walks on the mountain top, and some dinner and drinks with amazing views, we eventually headed down.
    I think to myself, after the last couple of days, how can things continue to be this exciting and enjoyable. Then I remind myself... the World Cup starts tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Read more