Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Sihanoukville

    July 26, 2011 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today we met at about 10am for an over-land tour around the area of Sihanoukville. This would be a four part adventure! First up, we visited a small fishing village in the Port area. This was a really interesting look into a simple lifestyle. We'd just been to a fishing village in Hong Kong days earlier, but this was different again. Apparently theres some 300,000 people living in villages like this along the coast of Cambodia.
    From here, our private bus took us through a rocky jungle road to the beach. One thing I forgot to pack was my bathers. That didn't stop us all swimming and playing make-shift volleyball for an hour or so. We then relaxed at the beach front for lunch, cooked by our guide.

    The next stop was a nearby waterfall. We waited a while undercover upon arrival, as heavy rain had arrived. In the meantime we relaxed in hammocks and enjoyed some prickly local fruit; rambutans (similar to lychees). Once it cleared a little, we ventured over a rickety, Cambodian engineered bridge and waded to the base of the waterfall in a picturesque secluded little spot.
    The final spot for the day was a mountaintop pagoda. Here we got a great view of the town of Sihanoukville, as well as the chance to feed bananas to the monkeys that live here.
    On the conclusion of the day tour, we headed to the beach for dinner and drinks. We found a nice place, right on the sand. Here we all enjoyed good food, and cocktails.
    Eating in Cambodia is tremendously cheap. All meals were under $5 US. All cocktails were $2 US. I also ordered a couple of 'cocktail buckets' These were $4 US and served in a sandcastle bucket, probably the same size as 3-4 cocktails...

    After a few cocktails and dancing, we headed off to the same bar we went to last night. Before long, we were all swimming in the pool by the bar. An awesome night, that is just incomparable to anything that could be experienced back home.
    Read more