Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Phnom Penh

    July 24, 2011 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    After the initial Vietnam VISA debacle, our trip from Hong Kong to Cambodia actually went remarkably smoothly. We started on a brighter note, waking in our Executive Suite with plenty of time to still make breakfast. By noon, we were on a shuttle to the airport.
    We boarded our Dragon Air flight to Phnom Penh with little hassle, stress or concern. The flight was comfortable enough and before we knew it we were touching down @ Cambodia International Airport. Given how heartbreaking our previous VISA drama was, getting one organised at the Cambodian border was remarkably quick and easy.
    From here, our mission was to link up with our Intrepid tour group. Having missed the start of the tour in Vietnam the group was now simultaneously in Phnom Penh.

    We boarded a taxi from the airport for our first sights and experience in Cambodia. What a culture shock it was for Natalie in particular. Poverty aplenty, different dwellings and lifestyles. The most amazing thing to initially stand out was the traffic. Chaos. Mostly motorcycles, and no apparent road rules or safety concerns. There were upto 5 people per motorbike, less than 1/4 of people wearing helmets, some infants, some carrying ladders as passengers!
    We arrived at our first hotel: Dara Reang Sey 2 Hotel. We phoned our tour guide; PK and jumped on a tuk-tuk to meet the group. Our group consisted of 13 people, average age late 20s to early 30s, 3 english, 1 scottish, 2 canadian, 1 roman, and the rest australian.
    Weve finally arrived for our Cambodian Adventure!

    We woke from our 3rd story hotel room @ about 5am to the sound of excessive car, bike and truck honking. The traffic here is crazy and everyone loves a good honk. US Dollars is the preferred currency here. There is a local currency known as the Riel, but its become secondary to the US Dollar. Prices are generally listed in US Dollars. For breakfast, $4US got us pancakes, toast, juice, coffee and dragonfruit.
    Our first major sightseeing experience was the Cambodian Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda. These were built in 1866 and 1892 respectfully. The Royal Palace is still used today and the current King resides privately behind the corronation Temple/ Throne Room.
    From there, we boarded a public bus bound for Sihanoukville some 250km southwest of Phnom Penh. The trip took about 4 hours.
    From there, we arrived at our new hotel the Holiday Inn. I enjoyed a $8 rib eye steak, several cocktails, and a cruisy night out at a local bar.
    I really like Sihanoukville. Much moreso than Phnom Penh. Its right on the beach, way more relaxed, casual and tropical. Theres heaps of lizards, cows and frogs here. Im hoping for some memorable experiences over the days to come.
    Read more