Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Siem Reap

    July 31, 2011 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    fter another grueling long bus ride, we arrived at our final major stop of the tour; Siem Reap. This appears to be the most modern and developed Cambodian city of our adventures. It sits on the doorstep of the Angkor Wat temples, and has been developed largely over the last 10 years. It is a major touristy city, everyone seems to be coming or going from Siem Reap.
    Our arrival day was rather uneventful. We checked into the hotel, dropped our bags and laundry at reception, and went for a tour of the city on foot with our tour guide PK. We strolled along the river, through the park and side-streets.

    What could have been one of the more uplifting moments of the tour went sour here in the park. There was a stall of birds in cages, where you could pay a small fee ($1US) to set one pair free. Sounded good enough. With birds in hands, Nat and I smiled and prepared to do a nice thing. Nats bird flew off happily enough, mine went up.... and then... down onto the ground. Hopping in fear under some bushes. What was supposed to be good luck, didnt quite turn out that way.

    We headed back, where I elected to rest up, and Nat went off with a couple of the girls; Rachel and Kirsty to the nightmarkets.
    We met up for dinner outside of our hotel, for a casual meal and cocktail and early night.
    A big day lay ahead at the temples of Angkor Wat.
    Read more