Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Wrapping it up.

    September 27, 2018 in China ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    I woke this morning for my final day in China. With my bags 60% packed, I met family downstairs for breakfast around 8.30. I'd begin the long journey home around noon, still leaving a little time for a couple morning activities.

    Jared and Yuan met us in the lobby at about 9.30 and we piled into a couple cabs. First up, a trip to the local Xinzhou market. This place was huge and crowded. There were plenty of weird and wonderful wares for sale; fruits, vegetables, animals, cuts of meat, clothes, furniture and more. As always, we received plenty of stunned looks.. and my efforts to befriend a young local child went awry, bringing them to tears, their nightmares to reality, and potentially traumatizing them for life.

    We each picked up an assorted souvenir or two, before walking a few blocks to the Xinzhou gardens. These were a small but pretty gardens, with a few pagodas, ponds and ornate bridges - a popular spot for people to exercise.

    By a little after 11 it was time for me to catch a cab back to the hotel to finish packing and check out. Yuan, Jared and Ba (Yuans dad) would escort me on a 90 minute drive to Taiyuan airport, for a domestic flight to Beijing.
    Read more