Satellite
Show on map
  • A New Dynamic of Travel

    November 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Ive enjoyed plenty of travel over the years. Its been quite an evolution. As a kid, and teen, I have memories of the US and South East Asia with my parents and brothers. My travel bug really hit in earnest in my early 20s, when I set off to Europe by myself for a couple months. A memorable part solo, part with friends World Cup trip in 2010 broadened my confidence and experience. Following that, in 2011, I signed up my wife-to-be in as my new adventure companion.
    That was the first big change, from flying solo, following your own feet and whims, to a collaborative endeavour. That colloboration comes with restrictions sure, but the sharing of experiences and exploring with a loved one makes for a more memorable and rewarding undertaking.
    What adventures we experienced since. Two adults, two giant backpacks. 2011 - South East Asia, 2012 Africa, in 2013 - 38 countries, circumnavigating the planet in 7.5 months via all continents (except Antarctica), 2014 - New Zealand South Island, 2016 South America and 2017 Japan.
    Then in 2018, things changed. We became parents. Our eldest was born at 24 weeks (very premature) and priorities shifted. I spent a week in China for my brothers wedding, but none of us thought we'd be dragging a premature infant around any time soon. It seemed unrealistic and inconceivable.
    Maybe not. In 2020, we thought we'd give a Pacific cruise a spin. Ryland was 18 months (approx), the cruise left out of Melbourne, no flights required, why not?
    Our two backpacks changed to wheelie bags. Weight limits for plane baggage was pushed, we met the oversized baggage checkins, personal clothing luggage changed to nappies, bottles, wipes. Cruise routine shifted from interior state rooms, late daily dinners, drinks, socialisation, pool and spa time and shows to balcony rooms, early nights, rotating pool time and isolation. It was a challenge.. but not all bad.. as before that extra share of experience was so precious.
    I conceded perhaps a short-term travel haitus might be in store following that cruise to allow Ryland to grow. Covid comprehensively agreed with impecable timing, announcing itself towards the end of our February 2020 cruise (even altering our itinerary to give us a bonus unplanned taste of Vanuatu).
    With the pandemic in full swing, we opted to use the time to tinker our three-person trike, adding an Axel to make a four wheeler in November 2020.
    ... and here we are again. As 2022, we're sitting here in Sydney ready for a new adventure. We board Ovation of the Seas tomorrow for 11 nights around New Zealand.
    We're a party of four with Ryland 4.5 and Axel freshly 2 (2 days ago), with with eight others, my parents, brothers, sisters in law and their boys Flynn 3, and Myles 1.5.
    Read more