Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    I Like the Sting Ray

    August 3, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    After a big day of travel, a relatively quiet day planned today, settling in, waking up to some warmth, exploring the area.
    Today's activity was to the Reefworld Aquarium in Urangan, just a 15 minute walk or so from the hotel.
    This may be our last family trip with a pram equipped, so we made sure to utilise it. Nonetheless, Ryland's excitement got the best of him and his feet weren't able to keep up with a crash, grazed knee and tears the tragic result. This laid waste my plans to pay for a turtle swim with him.
    Fortunately, this wasn't needed as good timing and fortune favoured us. On arrival at the aquarium, they were just preparing to have visitors not only hand feed, but pet their Green Sea turtles.
    This was an amazing experience, getting up close, feeding the turtles some lettuce and getting to touch their shells and fins. The kids loved it.
    Whilst the aquarium itself was small, it still boasted some lovely fish, sharks and rays. On completion, staff welcomed us back for the afternoon to return for a complimentary fish/ray feeding session.
    After some beach, playground and lunch time we returned. Each of myself, Nat and the boys got to climb up over the tanks and feed a variety of sharks, Sting Rays and fish. The boys loved it!
    After a casual day, we ended up driving into Hervey Bay that evening for Hogs Breath (a kids favourite).
    Still time for a spa, before bed and a big day to Fraser Island tomorrow.
    Read more