Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4–15

    Kiyomizudera

    March 5 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Went to Kiyomizudera because apparently we didn't go the last time we were here, and also to visit the pagoda of Koyasu Kannon (for safe childbirth and to get a talisman). This place definitely has a lot of tourists even on a rainy day and it kinda ruined what should probably have been a solemn vibe. The area is very Kyoto though, for people who want to risk it. We went in the afternoon.

    Had some dessert at Chasen which was not bad. The matcha tiramisu was rather cheesy but the matcha jelly with matcha syrup was yum.

    Also wanted to visit Kodaiji but we are a bit too late and it had an entry fee. Ryozen kannon was also nearby and we could see the massive Kannon statue peeking out the top of the entrance; it was already closed.

    The trip out from Kiyomizudera was truly miserable. Waited about half an hour for a bus and it was lucky we were at a fairly early stop because the bus had to reject further passengers at a few subsequent stops. Cold wet and shivering even with the warm heat pocket pads. Perhaps a shuttle bus instead?? Must be something better.

    Dinner was an uninspiring overcooked chicken oyakodon from Isetan depachika (also pretty uninspiring on the whole) and I couldn't find something else i wanted to eat so we ordered gyoza kosho from Uber eats.
    Read more