Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Tourist things

    November 2, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    I seem to have taken the right order of greek ancient towns to visit: troy, alexandria troas, sophos, and now bergama and, as a banger, ephesus.

    Bergama also has its own awesome cheese by the way, named after the city. But the cheese here is very varied in Turkey everywhere, and they also do interesting stuff like peppers or carrots with some kind of yoghurt or fresh cheese (lor or çökelek). And, ehm, I have just been taught how to do a good breakfast. Food here is quite good if you know where to look and what to get; I dont care for köfte and Lahmacun and pide so much.

    Anyway, Bergama: a really beautifully situated acropolis —which is the „highest edge of the city“—and served as the richest part of ancient greek cities. Picture just a beautiful citadel on a mountain, with marketplaces literally carved out of the hill, big gymnasiums, and a huge palace at the top. And some snakes — I rather see them here than in Africa — and some nice picture opportunities. I even asked someone to take a picture of me, which I only do if it is really a special spot: a statue of some soldier with no head, for example. (Noone else wanted a picture here?!?! What's wrong with people.) (Also met some georgian people who wanted me to take pictures of them on three occasions: very nice people 😆).

    So then, on to efes. The most famous and best-kept ancient greek site, at least in turkey, and also the last I will visit. But first: I got again got chatted up with some Turkish people who lived in Germany or Austria, and are always super friendly, buy me tea, coke, and just try to talk in the, usually, broken German they do speak. (Way, way better than my Turkish, and I am in their country.) I don’t know why we view Turkish people in western countries negatively, because these people really take care of you. (Of course, there are shitty people everywhere.) And on the way there I found this beautiful swing. Perfect coffee spot.

    Anyway, Efes. Really overrun, and I don’t know what to say about it. Yes, it’s beautiful, it’s huge, but it’s overrun, and this isn’t even main season. I was psyched when I found a small street, or what was left of it, where I was just alone. The reason, obviously, was that there were no famous buildings in this part.

    Nicest thing for me was the “terrace houses”, because it was quieter here, and they had preserved and restored the old Roman houses. They did a really great job there.

    Ok, pictures tell a better story.

    Next up: Pamukkale and konya. Much climbing ahead!


    Ps. During heavy cycling and climbing you really appreciate the smaller things. I found myself saying out loud “I love water!” On more than one occasion.

    Pps. I just got reminded by the awesome guy I’m staying at, who picked me up off the street when the camping was closed, to also mention him. Well, here it is: and will also be featured in the next post.
    Read more