Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 166

    Back to tanzania

    29 de febrero, Tanzania ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    So I just learned the origins of the word "mzungu". It has originally nothing to do with skin color, but rather came from the bantu meaning: wanderer. Kizungu actually means" behaving rich, and so locals could also be called "mzungu"; given this it is no surprise to me that they think all white people have money. Language games dictate lifestyles.

    Anyway leaving aside this philological preamble, I left Nairobi on a rainy day and quickly regretted it. Thing is, roads around Nairobi are busy with crazy driving, so I tried a detour, which made me get stuck in the mud for an hour or so: mud or clay got between the fender and my wheel and blocked everything. I managed to escape the mudhell with help from locals, got a bikewash, and following main roads, with tailwind, I got on my way to Moshi. I was recommended a country road and paths north of amboseli, which was absolutely beautiful: very little traffic, amazing views (also of mt Kilimanjaro 100 km away), and even some giraffes. Just sandroads occasionally though, which can be quite tricky to maneuver in.

    Like mentioned but deserving a special paragraph: mt Kilimanjaro towers over everything unlike anything I have seen before. Amboseli is nearly completely flat, and you can see the mountain from very far—if it is not in clouds, which it almost always is—standing alone in the Savannah.

    Those perpetual clouds also made me have to cross the border in rain, which also made it free from people offering to exchange money: normally there are at least 10 on both sides.

    In Moshi it is interesting for me to see the difference with Kenians: Tanzanians like to relax. Everything seems more slow — except the driving. I was very inclined in Moshi to also go and climb Kilimanjaro, but at 1600$ minimum, I will leave this for another time.

    I did visit the Materuni waterfall, which is amazing. I also think I got ripped off by a local guy, at the materuni village.
    Leer más