Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Volcanos, caves and lots of dogs

    April 14, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Manta ray dive complete we are finally ready to set off to the other side of the island. Suki did an excellent job driving! (self pat on back)

    First stop rainbow falls for a few happy snaps. Then over to Haunama caves, a not very well known spot where you can hike through an old lava tube.. byo flashlights! Or in our case, Travs flashlight and my mobile phone. Pretty cool hiking through an old lava tube in complete darkness.. we may have gotten a tad lost at the end where we ended up in an overgrown forest area. I think you are supposed to turn around and go back up the tube, but "let's go this way!" Trav says.. short story is we got back to the car eventually.

    Off to the volcano! No flowing lava at present unfortunately however still fascinating to see it with the steam vents and sulfur visible. We went back at night to see the crater glowing bright red.. very cool.. I mean.. hot (teehee).

    Tonight we are staying in a unique little cabin in the middle of the forest with Lily and Brian, a hippy-ish couple with a big property complete with forest, water tank, hot tub, cabin, 6 dogs and 2 cats. Yes 6 dogs. All trying to jump on us when we arrived which ended in a big fight and almost tearing down the carport. Just another day on the Big Island!

    Trav is not feeling well unfortunately and is having trouble equalizing his ears.. hope we'll be ok to fly tomorrow...
    Read more